Re: [opensuse] Improved performance with NVidia drivers
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:09:22 -0400
On 09/19/2013 10:59 AM, James Knott pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
It is not the RS or similar people which object. Well, they may, but that
would not be a problem: openSUSE distributes many pieces of software to
which they "object". It is the kernel people who object, because they
say that distributing the NVidia driver kernel modules breaks the kernel
license.

When I installed the NVidia drivers, I thought I got a new kernel, as I
had to reboot the computer. I thought modules could be loaded without
rebooting. Did I get a kernel or modules?

You can run the following (all on one line) to see if a kernel install took place at the same time driver:

rpm -qa --queryformat '%{INSTALLTIME}\t%{INSTALLTIME:date}\t%{NAME}\n' | sort -g | cut -f 2-

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998