Re: [opensuse] Improved performance with NVidia drivers
Basil Chupin wrote:
When I installed the drivers from the NVidia repository, I got a new
kernel.

That doesn't "compute" :-) . If you received a new kernel when you
installed the driver then it was purely a conicidence as far as I am
concerned.

But then never having used the nvidia repo (I always download directly
from the nVidia site and then compile the driver to suit the kernel)
there may be such a connexion which you experienced :-) .

As I mentioned in another note, I got a pop up message telling me to
reboot. There is also a new entry in the grub menu. However, when I
look in /boot, the latest kernel date is June 7 on both default and
desktop kernels. But for some reason, the grub menu shows the desktop
kernal as default, as it was before, even though the new entries are for
the default kernel. I'm really not sure what's going on, as I don't
have any expertise in this area, but I do know I got that pop up to reboot.

BTW, I can easily tell what the change was in the grub menu, as on new
installation, or kernel update, the menu lists the kernel version
number. I always edit that down to just "Desktop" and "Failsafe" and
get rid of the version number etc.