Re: [opensuse] Improved performance with NVidia drivers
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 16:35:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Thursday, 2013-09-19 at 10:49 +0200, C wrote:

What I did come across though (heated ML discussions etc) is a small
group of vocal people who look at the world through Richard Stallman
colored glasses, and who don't like that the NVIDIA drivers are a
proprietary binary blob and wanted them removed completely from all
distros.

Some distro communities complied with their demands (RH, openSUSE
etc)... others didn't (PCLOS, and from what I can tell, Debian... the
nVIDIA drivers are in the non-free repo for Debian).

Meanwhile loads of other binary blobs are "OK" in the non-free
repos... just not the NVIDIA ones.

It smells a lot of an agenda against one particular vendor and very
little like the parroting we see of it being a licensing issue on
NVIDIA's part. Then again.. .I may have missed something.

Yes, you have.

It is not the RS or similar people which object. Well, they may, but that would not be a problem: openSUSE distributes many pieces of software to which they "object". It is the kernel people who object, because they say that distributing the NVidia driver kernel modules breaks the kernel license.

<http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2009-06/msg00381.html>

<http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2009-06/msg00383.html>

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.