Re: [opensuse] Improved performance with NVidia drivers
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:49:20 +0200
On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Thursday, 2013-09-19 at 00:18 -0400, Doug wrote:

On 09/18/2013 11:03 PM, Rajko wrote:
As a matter of fact, you will not find them in any distro that wants to
use Linux kernel.

Just plain wrong. As I pointed out, PCLOS has Nvidia drivers. It has
been using Linux kernels forever. It's up to 3.4.60 at the moment.

When some people started distributing nvidia drivers from the OBS, kernel
devs said they (those people) would be sued by them (kernel devs). The
drivers were inmediately removed.

I did some digging on this today. I'm no lawyer... but I can't see
anything in the NVIDIA licensing that explicitly forbids
redistribution. Their license isn't GPL... it's their own license...
says thing like don't decompile. break up components, keep it all in
one "unit" etc.

What I did come across though (heated ML discussions etc) is a small
group of vocal people who look at the world through Richard Stallman
colored glasses, and who don't like that the NVIDIA drivers are a
proprietary binary blob and wanted them removed completely from all
distros.

Some distro communities complied with their demands (RH, openSUSE
etc)... others didn't (PCLOS, and from what I can tell, Debian... the
nVIDIA drivers are in the non-free repo for Debian).

Meanwhile loads of other binary blobs are "OK" in the non-free
repos... just not the NVIDIA ones.

It smells a lot of an agenda against one particular vendor and very
little like the parroting we see of it being a licensing issue on
NVIDIA's part. Then again.. .I may have missed something.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.11