Re: [opensuse] Does chown work on directories on a NAS that uses cifs?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:42:31 +0200
John Andersen wrote:

On 9/16/2013 11:37 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Ted Byers wrote:

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
El 16/09/13 06:14, Dave Howorth escribió:

Ted Byers wrote:

I have traced one of my troubles to one of ownership of a
directory
and it's contents. MySQL requires ownership of the data
directory. This I found out the hard way.

Please pay attention to Cristian's message in another thread.
Putting mysql files on the NAS is a really bad idea. Performance
will be awful.

Yup, I suspect that ISCSI+ a fast network might be a working
alternative, however I remain unconvinced that mysql will work both
fast and safely over CIFS,

OK, lets say I give up on the notion of using the NAS to store data
managed by MySQL. I got this thing on the recommendation of the
only
guy I know who works as a sysadmin, among other things. I'd hate to
think I wasted my all too limited resources. So what can I use it
for? What sorts of practical applications represent something that
proves the value of a NAS?

If you can reconfigure it to offer iSCSI or NFS, you'd have a much
more useful box.

He would still be running his MYSQL daemon on a different box than his
NAS, which is the root of the problem. A hell of a lot of data
running across a limited bandwidth. iSCSI and NFS can't get around
that.

iSCSI on plain GiGE does very well.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.6°C)