Re: [opensuse] Hard disks in vertical position?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 00:28:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2013-09-16 at 17:05 -0400, James Knott wrote:
jdd wrote:

I once saw the head-clearance challenge described as not unlike trying
to fly a Boeing 747 at 600 knots half-an-inch clear of the ground ...

thery do this each time they land or take off :-)

I doubt you'll see many 747s taking off or landing at 600 knots. ;-)

You can not land at that speed - dangers aside.

Suppose there is no wind, no turbulences, that the land is absolutely horizontal and smoth. As the plane aproaches the land, there is a surface effect that impedes the plane from ever touching land. It has to push hard the control surfaces to go down, and I guess it would be impossible at that speed.

Which is the same trick the hard disk heads use ;-)

The plane, or the head, need a comparatively strong down force to make them touch down at those speeds. Of course, those forces exist...

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.