Re: [opensuse] Hard disks in vertical position?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 21:44:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2013-09-16 at 18:37 +0200, Peter wrote:

On 16/09/13 18:29, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I "destroyed" a HD on a desktop by banging my fist once on the table.
Immediately I had read errors and a region was unreadable.

I "destroyed" a HD in my laptop by banging my fist once on the... laptop. I had read errors though I later managed to zone off the damaged part and still use the drive as external storage with no problems.

Following that incident I resolved to banging the table instead of the laptop. Evidently from your post, however, I need to identify a new fist-banging location entirely air-gapped from the laptop. Current frontrunner is my flatmate's face. They already have enough bad sectors that nobody will notice :)

ROTFL! X'-)

Well, my banging episode was many years ago, and from what I read here, current hard disks are more resilient. Anyway, I now keep my computers on an iron rack on wheels at the table side ;-)

Hum. I should mention it: I try to never move that rack while a computer is running. If absolutely have to, I move it very slowly.

And I handle my running laptop like a basked of egs. Or more delicate.

As we say in Spanish: "gato escaldado huye del agua"; more or less: "a scalded cat flees from water" ;-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.