Re: [opensuse] Does chown work on directories on a NAS that uses cifs?
On 9/16/2013 11:37 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Ted Byers wrote:

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
El 16/09/13 06:14, Dave Howorth escribió:

Ted Byers wrote:

I have traced one of my troubles to one of ownership of a directory
and it's contents. MySQL requires ownership of the data directory.
This I found out the hard way.

Please pay attention to Cristian's message in another thread.
Putting mysql files on the NAS is a really bad idea. Performance
will be awful.

Yup, I suspect that ISCSI+ a fast network might be a working
alternative, however I remain unconvinced that mysql will work both
fast and safely over CIFS,

OK, lets say I give up on the notion of using the NAS to store data
managed by MySQL. I got this thing on the recommendation of the only
guy I know who works as a sysadmin, among other things. I'd hate to
think I wasted my all too limited resources. So what can I use it
for? What sorts of practical applications represent something that
proves the value of a NAS?

If you can reconfigure it to offer iSCSI or NFS, you'd have a much more
useful box.

He would still be running his MYSQL daemon on a different box than his
NAS, which is the root of the problem. A hell of a lot of data running
across a limited bandwidth. iSCSI and NFS can't get around that.

He really needs to get his daemon on the same box as the data.

(And FTR, we've found SAMBA to be just as fast as NFS, and half the
hassles).