Re: [opensuse] Does chown work on directories on a NAS that uses cifs?
On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 13:52 -0400, Ted Byers wrote:
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
El 16/09/13 06:14, Dave Howorth escribió:

Ted Byers wrote:

I have traced one of my troubles to one of ownership of a directory
and it's contents. MySQL requires ownership of the data directory.
This I found out the hard way.

Please pay attention to Cristian's message in another thread. Putting
mysql files on the NAS is a really bad idea. Performance will be awful.

Yup, I suspect that ISCSI+ a fast network might be a working alternative,
however I remain unconvinced that mysql will work both fast and safely over
CIFS,

OK, lets say I give up on the notion of using the NAS to store data
managed by MySQL. I got this thing on the recommendation of the only
guy I know who works as a sysadmin, among other things. I'd hate to
think I wasted my all too limited resources. So what can I use it
for? What sorts of practical applications represent something that
proves the value of a NAS? In my present context, I only need to run
a web server, an RDBMS, and Perl or C++ or R to do my programming and
data analysis.

Thanks

Ted

Hi
Which NAS do you have? Many of the qnap and Synology models ship with
MySQL server which you can manage easily with phpMyAdmin. The same ones
also do web. Depends what's been recommended.
L x