Re: [opensuse] Does chown work on directories on a NAS that uses cifs?
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
El 16/09/13 06:14, Dave Howorth escribió:

Ted Byers wrote:

I have traced one of my troubles to one of ownership of a directory
and it's contents. MySQL requires ownership of the data directory.
This I found out the hard way.

Please pay attention to Cristian's message in another thread. Putting
mysql files on the NAS is a really bad idea. Performance will be awful.

Yup, I suspect that ISCSI+ a fast network might be a working alternative,
however I remain unconvinced that mysql will work both fast and safely over
CIFS,

OK, lets say I give up on the notion of using the NAS to store data
managed by MySQL. I got this thing on the recommendation of the only
guy I know who works as a sysadmin, among other things. I'd hate to
think I wasted my all too limited resources. So what can I use it
for? What sorts of practical applications represent something that
proves the value of a NAS? In my present context, I only need to run
a web server, an RDBMS, and Perl or C++ or R to do my programming and
data analysis.

Thanks

Ted