Re: [opensuse] Hard disks in vertical position?
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16/09/13 22:42, Greg Freemyer wrote:

Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:

On Saturday, September 07, 2013 07:17:14 PM Istvan Gabor wrote:

2013. szeptember 7. 15:11 napon "Carlos E. R."

<carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
írta:

Years ago I remember that hard disks had to be positioned

horizontally,

printed board facing down. The documentation said so. If you wanted

place them vertically, the documentation also specified which face

had to

look down, but warned that the wear would be worse.

So I always put them horizontally, without thinking.

But I'm about to place one vertically, and I don't see any mention

of this

in the documentation. Have things changed, or have I missed

something in

the docs?

I'm using seagate:

Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (AF)
Device Model: ST500DM002-1BD142

Hello:

HP Proliant microserver has slots for hard disk in vertical position.
Therefore I think either horizontal or vertical position is OK.

We use a few chassis where the disks are mounted vertical. These are
used in
vehicles on roads of varying quality, meaning they have been exposed to

various influences all the time. So far we have not had a problem.

Roger,

Do you use normal drives? Or laptop drives?

Laptop drives are designed to take more physical abuse.

Greg

'Laptop drives designed to take more physical abuse'?!

What do you actually mean by "physical abuse"?

I am looking right now at a Seagate HDD in one of my computers and the label
on the HDD states that the warranty on it is void if the HDD is subjected to
more than 350Gs of shock! :-)

So are you saying that the laptop drives can take even more abuse that this?

That is the max G's with the heads parked. BTW. if you hold a drive
above your head and drop it on concrete, I think you will exceed the
warranty max G's. (It's not the fall, its the sudden stop at the
end).

In operation with the platters spinning and the heads "flying"
micrometers above the platter surface, a standard 10 year old
manufactured harddrive will develop media errors if you give it a
strong bump. ie. you have a disk head crash.

For the last couple decades, the typical head crash leaves the heads
operational, but damages the platters surface.

Laptop drives are in general designed to allow a crash landing of the
heads with little or no long term damage. 10 years ago they often did
that by embedding small chunks of ground up diamond in the surface
layer. I don't know what they do now, but I haven't heard of diamond
dust being used in the last 5+ years.

It could be that a modern 3 1/2 platter is also robust and able to
withstand a low-flying head bouncing off of it every now and then.
That is why I asked.

Greg