Re: [opensuse] How start a remote job and detach the session, and re-connect later?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:51:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2013-09-11 at 16:04 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Cristian Rodríguez > [09-11-13 15:16]:

Use tmux. check out "byobu" which is an easy to use wrapper around
tmux/screen.

I tried byobu, but I find it confusing. Too much information on those status lines that I do not need.

I agree with using tmux, but no script is necessary.

After starting a tmux session, detach from the session,
<ctrl-b><d>

to reattach the session from anywhere,
ssh to the machine where the session resides and
tmux new -t <session-name>

tmux seems simple enough.

ssh machine
tmux
work
<ctrl-b><d> to detach.

exit ssh

ssh machine
tmux attach

and you are back in.

Interestingly, I can attach two xterms to the same tmux session. I guess I could use this for supporting someone remotely, on the same xterm, one local, one remote, so that they see what I type.

My only problem is remembering NOT to use ctrl-d to exit ssh, it kills the tmux session.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >