Re: [opensuse] what to do after zypper dup
On 14/09/13 17:23, Anton Aylward wrote:
Felix Miata said the following on 09/14/2013 11:01 AM:
On 2013-09-14 10:15 (GMT-0400) Anton Aylward composed:

Restarting the kernel needs a reboot just as installing a new kernel as
part of installing a new distribution needs a reboot. No way around
that.

??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kexec

ROTFLMAO!

<quote>
This avoids the long times associated with a full reboot
</quote>

*WHAT* long times?

Indeed - and from the docs it seems kesec goes through the software shutdown/restart procedures and only omits the hardware/bios reset. For me, reboot takes 50seconds to KDE log on screen *including* the grub timeout, so skipping the hardware reset would save save at most 10 seconds. Even if I'm really in a hurry, what's the difference? Especially since all services need to be stopped anyway...

Dylan