Re: [opensuse] what to do after zypper dup
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:36:44 -0400
On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM, lynn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
12.3
Hi
I have some repos which need updating so I run zypper dup. If I run zypper
up, they don't get updated.

After the show, I get:
There are some running programs that use files deleted by recent upgrade.
You may wish to restart some of them. Run 'zypper ps' to list these
programs.
and then:
You may wish to restart these processes.

Say there are 10 processes. Is there something like:
zypper restart-processes-after-dup?

Normally I can reboot or dup when we have fewer users, but what if I can't?
Thanks,
L x

Lynn,

I'm going to ignore your "zypper dup" comment. That is not best
practice, but it does not relate to the rest of your question.

It is not big a deal most of the time to leave programs running after zypper.

It just means that programs that are running have not gotten the
benefits of the update yet.

If for instance you have just upgraded a database like mysql and you
want the new version to be useable without a reboot, then manually
running rcmysql restart. If not, your update won't really be usable
until the next reboot.

Greg