Re: [opensuse] auto spin-down of unplugged USB drive
Quoting Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>:
В Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:27:10 +0200
Peter <gumb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

A laptop I acquired had Ubuntu already installed, and when playing about
with that I found that my external 2.5in IDE hard drive, attached via
USB, would spin down and its light extinguish when unmounting it, which
was quite nifty.

Does it actually unmount or performs "safe remove"? I would be
surprised if unmount did it; I rather think that Ubintu hides "safe
remove" behind "unmount".

I suspect it is the other way around, unmount is hidden behind safe remove.
The first time I inserted a USB disk, both partitions were mounted, and the
file manager popped up. I unmounted a partition maybe both (with "umount")
from a terminal. That did not play nicely. I forget the details. Now I
always use the safe remove in the file manager. This is for Ubuntu 10.4 and
12.10.

HTH,
Jeffrey