[opensuse] auto spin-down of unplugged USB drive
A laptop I acquired had Ubuntu already installed, and when playing about with that I found that my external 2.5in IDE hard drive, attached via USB, would spin down and its light extinguish when unmounting it, which was quite nifty.

In openSUSE, however, across multiple distro versions and machines, on unmounting the device, it remains powered and spinning. Even when I suspend to RAM for the night, although the disk light goes off I can still faintly hear it spinning. I presume this is desktop-agnostic behaviour since the same occurs in both KDE and XFCE. It means I would need to shut down the computer to truly bring the spining to a halt before moving the drive to another machine, which I do a lot.

Is there any simple policy that I can adjust somewhere to change this, without delving into tedious configs?