Re: [opensuse] I don't understand NAS cifs
On 9/12/2013 8:00 PM, Ted Byers wrote:
I have a 4 TB NAS, and put an entry into fstab to automagically mount
a directory on it. Now, when I look at system services, I see a
service called 'cifs' that is NT running. And yet, I can open Emacs,
create a plain text file, and save it to that directory on the NAS.

Is the cifs service not responsible for my access to the NAS? If not, what
is?

There are two questions I want to examine. 1) how do I ensure that
the NS is accessable at boot time before the system tries to start the
MySQL service. 2) How do I ensure that, whatever user the MySQL
service runs as, that it has access to the NAS?

Thanks

Ted

Yes, CIFS is what Linux uses to talk to a Windows Share
(which is what your NAS pretends to be).

If you have an entry in your fstab that does NOT have noauto in the
4th column it used to be that the system would wait for that disk to
come ready before it would boot.

Now with Systemd, this has probably been supplanted too, and you probably
have to do something like this guy did using systemd.automount
http://www.happyassassin.net/2011/05/12/cute-systemd-trick-of-the-day-auto-mounting-remote-shares/
and somehow make your MySQL dependent on that.

But I'm just guessing here.