[opensuse] apache config, FollowSymlinks
Hello,

I try to make my apache config as clean as possible, and so easy to move from a server to an other or to install elsewhere.

specifically, I usually don't use the root partition to hold data, so /srv do not fit.

The real place vary depending on the server configuration.

Till now, I used to give the hard link in /etc/apache2/default_server.config and in vhosts, but this is not very convenient, I have to change all the values when I change server.

The simpler way seems to be changing /srv to a soft link directed to the new location.

However this do not works.

my test is placing a dumb /srv/www/htdocs/index./html, with "server listening...". With hard path, my browser displays the message.

If I replace it by a soft link, I get a 403 error (no permissions to read)

apache2ctl do not give any syntax error, the logs give:

[Thu Sep 12 18:51:27 2013] [error] [client 82.228.87.93] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /srv

so why I beg this is a FollowSymlinks error.

is it advisable to set FollowSymlinks = yes and where (it is set in virtual servers, be visibly too late)

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.org