Re: [opensuse] MySQL doesn't seem to like NAS
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 08:44:24 +0200
Ted Byers wrote:

Thanks to the advice I received in this forum, I have succesfully
edited fstab so that my NAS is properly mounted when my Linux boxes
reboot. I have tested this by creating simple text files and saving
them to directories on the NAS.

I then used MySQL Workbench to tell MySQL to put all it's data on the
NAS, and when I check my.cnf, that worked as expected. However, from
that point onward, MySQL has refused to start. What I get is an error
message saying only that it failed to start, but nothing to indicate
why or how to fix it.

Then you need to look for some diagnostics.
Start with: /var/log/messages, /var/log/mysqld/.

Thus, I am hoping that there are enough MySQL users here
who know well how to administer MySQL on Suse 12.3 and who can tell me
a) how to fix this

We need to know what "this" is :-) "mysql doesn't start" simply isn't
enough to go on.

and b) what the correct procedure is to have MySQL store all it's data
on my NAS (and whether or not the same procedure would work on
Ubuntu).

Mount your filesystem <somewhere>, then change my.cnf:[mysqld]:datadir
accordingly.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.0°C)