Re: [opensuse] Re: How start a remote job and detach the session, and re-connect later?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 04:02:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Thursday, 2013-09-12 at 01:06 +0200, Joachim Schrod wrote:
On 09/11/13 20:19, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I have been unexpectly busy this afternoon to try any of the suggestions, and now it is almost 4 AM. Too tired to try. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks to everybody.

I want to start an ssh session, start a command, get out, and later
connect again via ssh and pick up the still running program and
output.

Does the repeat-connection needs to be with ssh?

Mmm... I didn't say that the client machine usually hibernates between sessions. The idea is to ssh-in, start something in an xterm with ssh, when needed hibernate or poweroff (the client side), and take again the same terminal hours or even days later.

Within an ssh session, typing "~<C-z>" (that's the key with an
tilde ~, and Ctrl-Z following) suspends the ssh session. One has an
active shell back at the command issuing server then.[*] With the
command "fg" one can resume the ssh session.

Interesting! Not of use for me this time, I think, but interesting. I'll write all this in my notes, so that I remember next time.

However, the choice of "~" is awkward in a Spanish keyboard: to type it I need "[Alt-gr][4]" (alt-gr is the right hand "Alt" key), so the entire combo becames more complicated.

[*] If one has several cascadet ssh sessions, it's an "interesting"
game to guess the amount of tildes before <Ctrl-Z> that one needs
to get at an intermediate ssh session.

Indeed...! I always wondered how to do that if needed. I never had to, but it is interesting to know.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.