Re: [opensuse] restarting X server in openSUSE 12.2 with systemd
Felix Miata said the following on 09/11/2013 01:18 PM:
On 2013-09-11 18:43 (GMT+0200) Istvan Gabor composed:

That is init 3, init 5?

Could you explain, please why it is till workong with systemd?

I'm pretty sure some developer understood remembering 'init3; init 5' can be
a lot easier than whatever lengthy typing is required to get systemd to do
it, and created some sort of aliasing to make the easy to remember method
keep working equivalent to how it did with sysvinit, maybe Frederic Crozat.

Of course if you look

# ls -li init
125001 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Sep 10 18:41 init -> ../usr/lib/systemd/systemd

So the binary looks to see how its invoked and does some magic that manages backwards compatibility.

I'm sure a peek at the source will make that a lot clearer.

Running 'strings' I see

program_invocation_name

I also note that 'man init' takes me to the systemd page.
Perhaps that should be construed as hint, eh?

That page also says

For compatibility with SysV, if systemd is called as init and
a PID that is not 1, it will execute telinit and pass all
command line arguments unmodified. That means init and telinit
are mostly equivalent when invoked from normal login sessions.
See telinit(8) for more information.

Do note that the 'telinit' page says

This is a legacy command available for compatibility only.
It should not be used anymore, as the concept of runlevels
is obsolete.

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013