Re: [opensuse] copying files to USB flashdisk in alphabetical order
On Monday, September 09, 2013 04:43:28 PM Dan Stromberg wrote:
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/07/2013 10:13 AM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

My old mp3 player plays the files in the order as they were copied
to the disk.

Until now I used to copy the files in the correct order by this command:

find . -print0 | sort -z | xargs -0 cp -a --parents

--target-directory=/media/disk

This used to copy directories and their files recursively in

alphabetocal order.

But in openSUSE 12.2 it does not work. The files are copied to my sdcard
in random order.

Why is this and how could I fix it?

Thanks,

Istvan

Maybe you should erase/reformat the card first?

*Often it'll work like this:

1) Erase the card
2) Copy files a, b and c to the card, in alphabetical order
3) Erase b
4) Copy d, e and f to the card, in alphabetical order
5) The card now has directory order a, d, c, e, f
*

Confirms my suspicion that the card is really reporting arrival order.

I too had a fairly brainded mp3 player that acted this way.
Nuke and reload seemed to work.

--
From the Myth of Me