Re: [opensuse] Hard disks in vertical position?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 14:00:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2013-09-08 at 11:32 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

I was thinking about the bearings.

Are the wheel bearings on your bicycle or your car horizontal or vertical? :-)

I have seen machinery stop when changed position. It depends what they are designed to do.

I remember a project I was involved with, a rotating and tilting platform, that moved easily when horizontal, and stuck when reached about 30 degrees. We had to buy motors 10 times bigger than designed, and step motors had a size limit. Not even the manufacturer was aware of the problem, because that machinery was designed for heavy motors: if the torque increased, they just slowed down. For us, too much torque and the step motors started loosing steps. Disastrous.

(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:10inchRotaryTable.jpg)

I just wanted confirmation that my recolection of "vertical HD = no" is unfounded nowdays. Just in case :-)

Maybe, just maybe, a disk designed for 20000 hours would last 15000 if placed vertical. Or maybe 25000.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.