Re: [opensuse] Hard disks in vertical position?
-----Original Message-----
From: Dylan <dylan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Hard disks in vertical position?
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 14:52:57 +0100

On 07/09/13 14:11, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Hi,

Years ago I remember that hard disks had to be positioned horizontally,
printed board facing down. The documentation said so. If you wanted to
place them vertically, the documentation also specified which face had
to look down, but warned that the wear would be worse.

So I always put them horizontally, without thinking.

But I'm about to place one vertically, and I don't see any mention of
this in the documentation. Have things changed, or have I missed
something in the docs?

It doesn't matter how they're oriented so long as the drive spindle is
horizontal OR vertical - gyroscopic effects will ensure the platters
spin true and the heads ride on an air cushion (thanks to Bernoulli). In
fact, they would probably be fine at skew angles too, but I'm not going
to make a definitive comment on that. Just don't change the axis while
they're spinning...