Re: [opensuse] Strangeness with OpenSuse RAID 1 Grub system
On 2013-09-06 10:52 (GMT+0200) Claudio ML composed:

Ok i have find i think the right solution, from this thread:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/393772-how-install-bootloader-both-disks-software-raid-1-a.html

1) Find the the stage 1 file:

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
(hd0,0)
(hd1,0)
grub>

The output could be different, depending on the partition where /boot is
located.

2) Asumming your disks are /dev/sda (hd0) and /dev/sdb (hd1) and you
have grub installed in the MBR of /dev/sda, do the following to install
grub into /dev/sdb MBR:

device (hd0) /dev/sdb
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

That same thread includes:

"SuSE recommends not using the MBR. but the boot sector "

Anyone can confirm me that is the right procedure to install grub on the
secondary disk?

Depends what you want. If you want Grub on MBR, then you only want hd0 within the setup commands. If you want Grub on a partition, you need hd0,0 or whatever applies to the actual partition targets. If the targets are sda1 and sdb1, then you want hd0,0 and hd1,0 within your setup commands.

Whether this ever actually works on partitions comprising RAID devices I don't remember, but I don't think it does. My /boot partitions in my MD RAID systems are never RAID devices. I just create partitions for /boot as if they would be components of a RAID device, but keep them independent, and don't even mount any to /boot. Instead, I have Grub and menu.lst on the "boot" partitions, but I install Grub there and maintain menu.lst manually using the Grub shell using the same method as the quoted thread.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/