Re: [opensuse] Extrange change in "/etc/sysconfig/clock"
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 19:39:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2013-09-01 at 17:05 +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

Please show me which script on openSUSE 12.3 and above calls hwclock
during boot and shutdown. The only one I am aware of is /etc/init.d/ntp
and only once on boot to set CMOS after time was synced and only if
explicitly enabled.

I can't.

You have silently removed features while implementing systemd. This is not documented in the release notes for 12.3.

Remember that not everybody can use ntp.

If you do not use NTP, you do not have correct time anyway. How exactly
is one incorrect time better than another incorrect time?

ntp is not the only method to keep accurate time. If you read the hwclock (and ntp) manuals you may learn how this was done without network time references.

Hwclock has always stored the utc/local word there.

Not always - only if you explicitly call it with --local or --utc.

which the openSUSE scripts, and previously SuSE scripts, have always done.

Once more - there is NO place in openSUSE where /etc/adjtime is used to
set system time from CMOS on boot - this is done by kernel. Nor is
there any place where CMOS is set from system time on shutdown - this is
normally done automatically by kernel.

It is not done because you have removed it.

12.1 /etc/init.d/boot.clock:

boot:

if test "$USE_ADJFILE" = yes ; then
#
# For UTC calculate adjtime
#
if test ! -s /etc/adjtime ; then
{
echo "0.0 0 0.0"
echo "0"
echo "UTC"
} > /etc/adjtime
else
test -w /etc/adjtime && adjfile_thirdline
fi
rtc_rule /sbin/hwclock $HWCLOCK --adjust

halt:

if test "$USE_ADJFILE" = yes ; then
/sbin/hwclock --systohc $HWCLOCK
else
# Change any /etc/adjtime left over
test -w /etc/adjtime && adjfile_thirdline
/sbin/hwclock --systohc $HWCLOCK --noadjfile
fi

That is how what I described was done.
Now you have replaced it by something else, and hidden it in binaries, so we can not know what is done :-/

(and no, don't tell me to read the sources)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.