Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to send email with postfix without DNS?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 19:21:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2013-09-01 at 11:22 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 09/01/2013 10:32 AM:
The other reason you forget, is that bind is a hasle to setup and
configure. I have done it, and I don't want to do it unless I really need
it.

Perhaps it a matter of the tools you use.
Many years ago I got Cricket Liu's book. It has many scripts and there are many more out there. There are GUI tools to take care of it.

Once I had it set up making small adjustments such as adding new hosts was trivial .... copy, paste, change last digit.

I also used scripts to create mine. I could simply copy my files over, and trim. But it happens that dnsmasq doesn't need any configuration at all! It just reads the existing /etc/hosts file and produces its own things, in ram probably.

Of course the DHCP server does updates too but I don't have to worry about those :-)

Now it would be more effort to wipe and it and replace it than to continue using it and occasional ... as in once every few years ... adding a hard coded addition.

My main desktop computer uses bind. But I did not want to do the same on this laptop. Believe me, dnsmasq is easier.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.