Re: [opensuse] Extrange change in "/etc/sysconfig/clock"
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 17:11:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2013-09-01 at 23:56 +0930, Rodney Baker wrote:
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 23:03:03 Carlos E. R. wrote:

By the way, if you set the cmos clock to "local", openSUSE will refuse
to do the yearly summer/winter change, and other adjustments to the cmos
clock (aka bios clock, aka "hardware clock).

Huh? Since when? I have never had my CMOS clock running UTC - always local -
and the winter/summer time change happens automatically on the correct
date/time every October and April.

A message when installing, I think, says so. It appeared with 12.3, I think.

Here is one (/etc/sysconfig/clock):

## Type: list(yes,no,)
#
# Add or subtract time from the Hardware Clock to account for
# systematic drift since the last time the clock was set or
# adjusted. By default off as this can cause trouble. For
# systems using localtime for HW clock this will ignored.
#
USE_ADJUST="no"

But there are more.

Quite frankly, I've never had an adequate explanation of why it would be more
desirable to run the hardware clock at UTC.

I have, many times, so I will not repeat them :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.