Re: [opensuse] Extrange change in "/etc/sysconfig/clock"
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 23:56:31 +0930
On 2013-08-31 22:09, James Knott wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
The cure on those cases was to set the system clock manually, transfer
contents to cmos clock, and then erase the adjtime file, in the
knowledge that rebooting would set it up correctly.

The cure is to not let Windows change the hardware clock. Let Linux do
it, but with the clock set to local time, instead of the usual UTC.

Few people know how to forbid Windows to change the "hardware clock". I
don't.

By the way, if you set the cmos clock to "local", openSUSE will refuse
to do the yearly summer/winter change, and other adjustments to the cmos
clock (aka bios clock, aka "hardware clock).

Huh? Since when? I have never had my CMOS clock running UTC - always local -
and the winter/summer time change happens automatically on the correct
date/time every October and April.

On the other hand, on windows 7/8 (and vista, I think) it is possible to
tell Windows to use the cmos clock as UTC instead of local. This is what
I use and since them, I have no problems.

No 'doze on this box (except in a Virtualbox VM) or its predecessors for many
years. I do, however, have a couple of laptops with dual-boot openSuSE/Windows
and run a mixed lan with openSuSE and Windows 7 machines and even the
occasional Vista and XP guest and I've never had a clock problem, most likely
because all have always run the hardware clock on local time.

Quite frankly, I've never had an adequate explanation of why it would be more
desirable to run the hardware clock at UTC.

But even if you do any of those solutions, the /etc/adjtime file is
already corrupted (if you have the hours shift problem on boot). You
have to remove it and recreate it again.