Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to send email with postfix without DNS?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 15:24:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2013-09-01 at 08:39 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Werner Flamme said the following on 09/01/2013 03:58 AM:

I never found postix accepting user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. Instead, one can use
something like user@xxxxxxxxx and define a transport like
@dont.know smtp:[192.168.2.101]

That's ingenious!

Yep, I saved that post for future reference.

To be honest, I'm not sure the issue is with postfix, per se.
I've just tried a few MUAs and they all reject "user@xxxxxxxxxxxx" with a "bad address syntax" message. I suppose you could go into the message buffers of postfix and hand edit a valid address into an IP one.

mailx (CLI) accepts it. It was one of the things I tried before posting here. Postfix refused, I don't remember why, but can find out in the logs if you are interested.

Perhaps, given a MUA that will accept that syntax and hand it to Postfix, we can set up a debug g trace to see how it handles or fails with it under various configs.

But I can't say its a high priority matter given Werner's idea.

After seeing how easy was to setup dnsmasq, I have no more interest in using postfix without dns ;-)

I wanted to, previously, because setting up bind is such a hassle... and because the machine is very low on ram.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.