[opensuse] Re: Extrange change in "/etc/sysconfig/clock"
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 01:42:31 +0200
On 08/31/13 11:15, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 02:15:26AM +0200, Joachim Schrod wrote:
On 08/30/13 14:05, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:

this file should with 12.3 and following not be deleted. It is the only
reference for the setup of the CMOS clock. Please note that this was not
my idea even if the shell code is mine ;)

So, just for the record, whose idea was this design decision?

Recording setup of the CMOS clock just in /etc/adjtime and nowhere
else is not robust at all and will lead to many support problems.

It works in the ideal world, on a developer's laptop -- but not in
the real world where openSUSE is used. At my company, such code
quality is called "it runs in my home directory and to hell with
the rest" -- we get lots of such changes in openSUSE lately. :-(

This change was not lately and this change is caused simply by the
upstream behaviour of systemd.

Ah, of course. The "we don't need to care for established
procedures, no matter what" people.

In fact, I like systemd, I like its concept and the implementation
is quite good for such a young system as well. But I dislike the
attitude how changes are introduced by its proponents. They should
take a look and learn from Linus: Disrupt your developers all the
time, OK; but never disrupt your user. I hope somebody will teach
them that lesson before they send the Linux ecosphere even more
downward that spiral.

There was a time when one could use many distributions mechanisms.
That's gone, back to work like in the 90s. Nowadays, as then, one
must rely on puppet or chef to establish proper configurations for
many more system attributes, just as we had to do in the 90s with
cfengine. Sad to see that we're going back to a time in Unix
administration that I thought has gone to the dustbin. Welcome to
your future, it's our past.

Joachim