Re: [opensuse] ddclient error
George Olson (SUSE list) [29.08.2013 08:04]:
* George Olson (SUSE list) <grglsn765@xxxxxxxxx> [08-28-13 20:13]:
On 08/28/2013 07:28 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
El 2013-08-28 a las 18:50 +0800, George Olson (SUSE list) escribió:

As you can see from the time stamps, the time that this email came was 5
hours after I turned off ddclient.service, and it has been doing this
every 10 minutes (the time I set the update frequency to earlier long
before I disabled the service). Why is it still sending these emails if
the service is no longer running?
Probably because it is a cron job, and that job does not look to check
that the service is down.

As a quick hack, find that job and comment it out. Later, recode it.

Ok, I am looking in my folders...

/etc/cron.d is empty
/etc/cron/daily has several files, but the log error is happening every
10 minutes.

Where would be the file that shows that a cron job is running as some
kind of service? I don't know which file to edit in order to comment
that out.
ls -lad /etc/cron*
None of these files had any reference to ddclient
will give you a list of possible locations.

or maybe: grep -r ddclient /etc/cron*
sudo grep -r ddclient /etc/cron*

nothing returned
also try: crontab -l |grep ddclient
and do the same as root

crontab -l | grep ddclient
no crontab for george

If it is a cron job, it is not running in any of the normal cron files.
This makes me think that ddclient is still running, even though systemd
says it is not. But that's not possible, is it? If not, what else could
be continuing to send the emails saying that it failed to update the ip
address? It says it is from root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Tribaltrekker is my
hostname on my pc.

Why would ddclient be a cron job? It is a service (or daemon, as it is
called before) of it's own which might be startet by either systemd or
the classical startup system (the current openSUSE package uses systemd).

When you look at the executable (/usr/sbin/ddclient) you'll see that it
is a Perl script.

If it is run as a daemon (or service), which is standard, it will wake
up every 300 seconds (at least this is the default) and act like it is
programmed :-) You may see the process when issuing "ps -ef | grep
ddclient" on the command line.

The mail recipient is given in the file /etc/ddclient.conf:
#mail=root # mail all msgs to root
mail-failure=root # mail failed update msgs to root

If you do not want mails, make sure both lines begin with a #.

Since the process is run as root, you get root@yourhostname as sender,
which is quite logical for me.

Regards,
Werner