Re: [opensuse] KMail on 12.3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:37:05 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Yes, there are indexes.

There is the folder "/var/spool/news/opensuse/org/help/applications/",
for example, with 12000 files, each one a single post, complete
(headers and body). But there is also a ".overview" file which is, I
guess, a binary index of those posts.

And there is also the folder "/var/spool/news/message.id/", which
contains a thousand directories named "000" to "999", and each
directory contains many posts, or none, each a single file with
headers and body.

I guess that those files in the first structure are hardlinks to those
in the second structure.

There is not a content index. If I want to do a body text search, I
have to do a filesystem grep on one of the structures, and it takes
ages.

Dovecot does have full-text indexing, but it needs to be configured.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS

Likewise, thunderbird does not offer to do body text searches.

My oldish Thunderbird (2.0.0.19) one does offer that and I have been
told that version 3 will also use the server-side indexes, if present.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.1°C)