Re: [opensuse] KMail on 12.3
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:26:55 +0200 (CEST)

El 2013-08-27 a las 10:23 +0200, Hans Witvliet escribió:

Hi Anton,

As Maildir puts everything in separate dirs/files, it seems to me that
it place a higher burden to the efficiency of the underlying filesystem.
Or is this a wrong assumption?

No, it is correct.

So it seems to me, when deleting one message (= one file) is less costly
then modifying an mbox containing 10,000 messages.

True.

otoh, if only messages got added (like on a mailing list archive) adding
things at the end, and modifying the index is less costly than creating
separate files each time.

True again :-)

But ofcourse, i could completely mistaken regarding the innerworkings of
mboxes ;-)

No, you are correct. Those are the issues :-)

- -- Cheers
Carlos E. R.

(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))

< Previous Next >