Re: [opensuse] KMail on 12.3
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:47:28 +0930
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:59:19 Carlos E. R. wrote:
El 2013-08-19 a las 02:46 -0700, Mark Tinka escribió:
I run KMail because I still - after nearly 6 years - can't find a decent
MUA that supports both Maildir and PGP. Outlook is MBOX style (and it's
Microsoft). Apple Mail is Maildir style but uses a proprietary method
(.emlx). Thunderbird has great PGP support but no Maildir (still can't
believe that, after all this time). OperaMail has good PGP support but
no Maildir.

I find Maildir inefficient. :-p

Anyway, you can run dovecot as local imap server for storage, and then use
any mail client you like - even all of them at the same time.

I'm doing that, and this is a laptop...

I find mbox inefficient - in terms of performance, not storage. There is
always a trade-off. I agree re dovecot, though. I'm running
fetchmail/sendmail/dovecot/spamassassin/clamav on a raspberry pi - a very low
cost (<$60), low power (<5W) mail server that can run 24/7 for almost nothing.
That consolidates 5 external email accounts into one that I can access from
anywhere, any time, using any imaps (imap/ssl) client, or via a web browser
(it also runs squirrelmail) via https.

:-)