Re: [opensuse] Anyone got calibre ebook reader to run?
On 23/08/13 20:24, John Andersen wrote:
On 8/23/2013 12:12 PM, Bob Williams wrote:
Running openSUSE 12.3 with KDE 4.10.5

I've just installed 'Calibre' using YaST/Software management. When I try
to run it, it fails with the following run time error:

20:02 bob@barrowhillfarm:~> calibre
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/calibre", line 20, in <module>
sys.exit(main())
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 417, in main
app, opts, args, actions = init_qt(args)
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 84, in init_qt
from calibre.gui2.ui import Main
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 31, in <module>
from calibre.gui2.widgets import ProgressIndicator
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/widgets.py", line 21, in <module>
from calibre.gui2.progress_indicator import ProgressIndicator as
_ProgressIndicator
File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/progress_indicator/__init__.py",
line 15, in <module>
pi_error)
RuntimeError: Failed to load the Progress Indicator plugin: the sip
module implements API v9.0 to v9.2 but the progress_indicator module
requires API v10.0

I'm not sure how to proceed...

Bob

I install it from the Calibre website and it works perfectly every time.
(Here is where someone is bound to jump in and complain about that, right
Carlos?)

I have a script in /root/bin for do the update, which is nothing but a one
line python command from this web page:
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info[0] > 2; u =
__import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1);
exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read());
main()"

(above is one long line, even tho it wrapped here).

I do this because the packagers at OpenSuse are at least a couple releases
behind.

I use calibre extensively and have hunted around and found the plug-ins that
automatically rip out the DRM in all the ebooks I purchase. These then work
perfectly on any device I own.

Note: I've had two ebook providers die/go out of business
on me, and once I buy a book (and I always buy them, authors need money too),
they
all go through this process.

Thanks, John, that worked a treat. My first ereader was the Irex iLiad,
which ran linux. As you say, it went out of business soon after Amazon
released the Kindle.

Bob
--
Bob Williams