Re: [opensuse] grub2 enigma
On 22/08/13 02:15, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
� Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:23:41 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> �����:

After doing the above I will run:

grub2-install --root-directory=/mnt/btldr /dev/sda

This installs grub into /mnt/btldr/boot/grub2
then (after mounting /sda1 [/btldr] and creating a blank grub.cfg in
/mnt/btldr/grub2/) run:

grub2-mkconfig -o /mnt/btldr/grub2/grub.cfg

So it will expect /mnt/btldr/boot/grub2/grub.cfg, not path above.
You probably want to use --boot-directory instead of --root-directory.

'Spa-see-bo'. Thank you. Your help has now resulted in the system(s) coming back to normality. I have an openSUSE grub2 menu which shows all the bootable installed systems.

The steps I took after I REMed out the reference to /dev/sda1 in fstab in oS 12.2 were:

Taking into account the bug in YaST you mentioned, I altered the time out for the boot in the bootloader; this altered the grub.cfg as you mentioned. I did not select the option to rewrite the MBR, and left where grub2 should go as /boot.

I then ran

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Then I mounted /dev/sda1 to /mnt/btldr (which is the common bootloader for all systems) and deleted the /boot directory which was there (it will be recreated in the next step).

Next I ran

grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/btldr /dev/sda [**]

which put grub2 into the MBR and in /mnt/btldr/ created /boot/grub2/

Following this I created an empty file called grub.cfg in /mnt/btldr/grub2/

and populated it by running

grub2-mkconfig -o /mnt/btldr/boot/grub2/grub.cfg

All this overwrote what the (Ubuntu) Boot Repair Disk produces and everything is now openSUSE-looking. Nice.

Just for reference, I set up my grub2 for multi-system booting using this article:

http://www.linuxidentity.com/us/down/articles/LSK_multi_distro_install_US.pdf

but as it is written (again, grrrrrr..) with Ubuntu in mind one needs to adapt the grub commands used in the pdf for grub2 as used in oS (and Fedora?)

[**] Using ".... --boot-directory=...." rather then "...-root-directory=...." created

/mnt/btldr/grub2

and not what I had before

/mnt/btldr/boot/grub2/

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.11.0 & kernel 3.10.5-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor