Re: [opensuse] grub2 enigma
On 21/08/13 12:35, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:18:09 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

On 21/08/13 02:09, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
� Wed, 21 Aug 2013 00:51:56 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> �����:

On 21/08/13 00:40, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 21/08/13 00:14, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Could you please show what

linux-boot-prober /dev/sda5
linux-boot-prober /dev/sda6

output?
Probing sda5 produces a NIL output
Which is the reason why you do not see it in menu. Could you paste
/var/log/messages related to this run?
The extract from 'messages' from around the time I ran the probes on sda5
and sda6:

50mounted-tests: debug: found boot partition /dev/sda1 for linux
system on /dev/sda5

Is it correct? As far as I understood you, your /dev/sda1 is "special"
standalone partition that normally is not mounted anywhere? What *is*
in this partition?

mount -r /dev/sda1 /mnt
ls -lR /mnt

?
Output:

http://susepaste.org/77298057

The /boot_br is the directory which Boot Rescue Disk creates and the
/boot is one I created from a backup of /btldr.

Please show /etc/fstab from /dev/sda5.
fstab on sda5 (12.3):

http://susepaste.org/68134960

Well ...

UUID=979f1826-87bf-49e4-ac95-8726a2e1c9e4 /boot ext4 defaults
0 2
Aug 21 00:02:22 linux-860j 50mounted-tests: debug: mapped
UUID=979f1826-87bf-49e4-ac95-8726a2e1c9e4 to /dev/sda1

So your system on /dev/sda5 is configured to use /dev/sda1 as /boot.
But according to content of /dev/sda1 you provided this is wrong
- /dev/sda1 does not have any vmlilnuz-* file to start with. So you
need to decide what is /boot in this case and fix it. Probably by
removing entry from fstab.

Sheesh, is this the problem? There are 2 entries for this UUID in fstab: one is REMed out and the other active. I wonder what put that there in the first instance then REMed it out and then replaced it...... Damn little gremlins! I hate them!

Anyway.....

I have REMed out the second reference to that UUID (sda1) and reran grub2-mkconfig in 12.2 but of course I am still stuck with the (Ubuntu) Boot Repair Disk menu. I need to get rid of it and to do so I am proposing to do the following and would appreciate comment if what I want to do is the way to do it.

In YaST>Bootloader I will alter the time delay figure which will trigger the replacement of the bootoader -- but here do I also rewrite the MBR or leave this alone? And I will use /boot where to boot from - correct?

After doing the above I will run:

grub2-install --root-directory=/mnt/btldr /dev/sda

then (after mounting /sda1 [/btldr] and creating a blank grub.cfg in /mnt/btldr/grub2/) run:

grub2-mkconfig -o /mnt/btldr/grub2/grub.cfg

to populate the empty grub.cfg with the data for all the installed systems.

Am I am on the right track, please, to get things back on track with getting rid of the Ubuntu menu, getting back to openSUSE boot time menu and having all the systems correctly listed for access?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.11.0 & kernel 3.10.5-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor