Re: [opensuse] /etc/passwd compulsory fields
lynn said the following on 08/20/2013 10:23 AM:

1. How do I get the polite message?

That depends. Maybe a variation on /etc/nologin ?

According to the man page, if you use what I suggest as the 'polite' method rather than your ABEND method, then

If the file /etc/nologin.txt exists, nologin displays
its contents to the user instead of the default message.

2. How do I enter a blank gecos
3. how do I enter a blank home directory?

Those are really LDAP questions aren't they?
Or possibly database questions for the underlying database.

4. Is it possible that cifsuser never be prompted for a password?

Personally I use ssh and certificates all over the palce so I only ever have to enter my password once for all the machines and IDs on my net (except root).

Perhaps if you gave us a little more context about the circstances in which that acount is being used.

Oh, and the obvious answer: don't have a password :-)
I'm sure there are circumstances where not having a password isn't actually a security violation :-)

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013