Re: [opensuse] /etc/passwd compulsory fields
lynn said the following on 08/20/2013 10:23 AM:
On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 07:57 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Neil Rickert said the following on 08/19/2013 09:32 PM:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:58:10 +0200
lynn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK. It's not the file itself, more what I'm passing to the operating
system. I'm using sssd, which seems to copy username to gecos and
have / as the default home directory even if those attributes are not
populated in AD. It will however allow me to leave login shell blank.
getent then gives me this:
cifsuser:*:3000020:20513:cifsuser:/:
which gives the correct number of ":". I'm not sure whether it's sssd
or AD which decides on the defaults.
Anyway, a bit better.

A blank login shell is interpreted as "/bin/sh". If logins are never
to be allowed for this user, I would typically set the shell to
"/noshell", which does not have a special meaning, but will deny login
as long as "/noshell" does not exist in the file system. Any
non-existent file path would do the same thing.

Please see "man nologin" for the 'polite' way to do this :-)

Hi
I can't get it polite:
hh16:/tmo # nologin
This account is currently not available.
works OK but it's not polite:
hh16:/tmp # su cifsuser
Password:
su: /noshell: No such file or directory

Help me here; why is a FAIL polite but a correct execution and sensible message that says nothing about the internals not polite.

"Polite" as in 'not abusing the system by relying on a FAIL'

The 'nologin' will work even if some idiot sysadmin who isn't in on it were to create "/noshell" thinking it a form of ".nologin" as has been used on some versions of UNIX in the past.

Perhaps things would have been clearer if I had said "robust" rather than "polite", but I think that making an ABEND do the job of 'nologin' is a klude and unreliable.

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013