Re: [opensuse] /etc/passwd compulsory fields
On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 12:19 -0500, Neil Rickert wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:48:00 +0200
lynn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

Apart from the obvious, passwd (5) doesn't say which fields are
compulsory.

They are all compulsory.

Some of them can be empty, but they need to be there. Some software
will be confused if it finds lines with the wrong number of ":"
characters.

Hi
OK. It's not the file itself, more what I'm passing to the operating
system. I'm using sssd, which seems to copy username to gecos and have /
as the default home directory even if those attributes are not populated
in AD. It will however allow me to leave login shell blank. getent then
gives me this:
cifsuser:*:3000020:20513:cifsuser:/:
which gives the correct number of ":". I'm not sure whether it's sssd or
AD which decides on the defaults.
Anyway, a bit better.