Re: [opensuse] KMail on 12.3
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013, Mark Tinka wrote:
Hi all.

I'm still running openSUSE 11.4 because the last time I attempted an upgrade
to 12.1, it ended in tears where KMail2 was such a surprise, particularly how
it got so bundled with Akonadi and friends.

I ended up reverting to 11.4 and have been there since then.

However, I can't help but feel like I'm not enjoying any advances in KMail
and other applications on openSUSE, given I'm on a release that is no longer
being supported.

My main issue is KMail. Does anyone know whether the migration from KMail on
11.4 to KMail on 12.3 is now behaving? One issue I saw was some kind of
problem between how KMail and KWallet are integrated in 12.3.

Any useful feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

Mark.

I tried kmail2 a few times. But each time some problem has undermined my
confidence and I returned to kmail/kdepim3. As I recall I think the most
recent issue was lack of search or slow search. I'm now running the 12.3 KDE3
kmail that is available in 12.3 kdepim3 package.

I did find converting to kmail2 is now fairly easy. I had kdepim3 kmail
convert all mbox folders to maildir. I then moved the old dir to somewhere
safe. After starting with a fresh kmail2, I imported the old folders. The
only downside with this approach to conversion is that after importing all my
folders I had to manually shift-click bunches of folders and mark all contents
as read.

I don't want desktop nepomuk desktop indexing, I think this is why I'm not
getting along with kmail2. As long as kmail/kdepim3 is provided I think I will
just stick with that.