Re: [opensuse] Slow file copying on openSUSE 12.3
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 23:28:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2013-08-16 at 16:00 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

If the platter has 2" and something usefull surface radius, thats about
.5·10⁶ tracks per platter side, which is even more than the number you said,
so you are about right and I wasn't.

A 3 1/2 inch across drive with a 2 inch useful radius. Where do you
buy your drives? I need some of those!

I'm not used to calculate in inches.

The disk bay is 5¼, so I halved that minus a bit, so I thought that 2" would be the approximate radius.

I did not remember that hard disks are labeled as 3.5", lot smaller than the bay - if it were centimeters it would mean something to me. A number in inches is just a number to me, has no meaning.

:-}

Seriously, I'd say a desktop 3 1/2 inch drive only has about 1 inch of
useful radius. There's dead space in the middle that is about 1 inch
in diameter (1/2" radius) and at least an 1/4th of an inch dead at the
edge between the chassis / air / unused platter edge.

fyi: I don't have a dead / disassembled drive handy to actually
measure so I'm going from memory.

Me neither... The only disks totally broken I have are two laptop units. Actually 1 disk... Perhaps I have a 3.5" somewhere. Some people made wall clocks with them :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.