Re: [opensuse] Slow file copying on openSUSE 12.3
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:00:49 -0400
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If the platter has 2" and something usefull surface radius, thats about
.5·10⁶ tracks per platter side, which is even more than the number you said,
so you are about right and I wasn't.

A 3 1/2 inch across drive with a 2 inch useful radius. Where do you
buy your drives? I need some of those!

Seriously, I'd say a desktop 3 1/2 inch drive only has about 1 inch of
useful radius. There's dead space in the middle that is about 1 inch
in diameter (1/2" radius) and at least an 1/4th of an inch dead at the
edge between the chassis / air / unused platter edge.

fyi: I don't have a dead / disassembled drive handy to actually
measure so I'm going from memory.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer