Re: [opensuse] Tearing/stepping windows after updating to KDE4.11?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:07:40 +0200
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Robin Klitscher wrote:
On 15/08/13 18:29, C wrote:

I just bumped up to KDE4.11, and I'm seeing something "new". It's
minor, but visually annoying when I notice it.

Under KDE4.11 I see there are additional items on the Advanced page of
Desktop Effects in System Settings. One of them is a choice of OpenGL
compositing type; and another is called Tearing Prevention which seems to be
new (or at least I don't recall having seen it before).

If you haven't tried these already is there something in there that might
help, I wonder???

Hmmm interesting. I set it to OpenGL3.1, Native, Only for Shown
Windows, Smooth, Automatic, and that combination cleared things up a
lot. Now instead of huge jaggies, I get a slight rhombus effect when
I drag left/right. That I can deal with.

The trick here was the combination of setting OpenGL and Scale
method=smooth. Any other Scale method just increases the step pattern
(a lot in some cases/combinations). XRender is the worst for jagged
step patterns..

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.11