Re: [opensuse] Slow file copying on openSUSE 12.3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 09:05:52 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 08:13:02 AM Per Jessen wrote:

Wouldn't/couldn't openSUSE be controlling that?

I don't think so, no - I don't know of anywhere in openSUSE where
you're able to specify it.

Via hdparam perhaps?

Yes, but I was more thinking of where you'd go in yast
or /etc/sysconfig/* to set it.

Another person in this thread reported that their
disk also has write cache enabled. And that was on a laptop where
power loss is more common than a system on a UPS.

On a system with a UPS, having write cache enabled is normal. On a
laptop, well, it works pretty much like a system with a UPS. When power
is low, it shuts down.

So maybe more poeple have this than expect.

I just checked a few more 12.3 systems, and I see things like:
[snip]
In fact, I do not see any systems locally where disk write cache is
not enabled.

Maybe we're misinterpreting "write cache" in this context, I don't know.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.8°C)