Re: [opensuse] Slow file copying on openSUSE 12.3
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 08:13:02 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 04:05:20 PM Per Jessen wrote:
Dave Howorth wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
and write cacheing are enabled - do you really want that?

It is the default as set up by the install.

Just saying, write cacheing can be dangerous. Depends what you're
doing.

It is really odd that the disk would have it enabled by default.

You mean the write cache on the disk itself?

Yep.

Wouldn't/couldn't openSUSE be controlling that?

I don't think so, no - I don't know of anywhere in openSUSE where you're
able to specify it.

Otherwist, I guess it is whatever the
hard disk maker has as delivered default.

Right, and that is odd.

I am guessing that this is dangerous in the event of a power loss. At
any other times?

No, power loss is the critical event - as far as Linux is concerned, the
data has been written when the disk confirms, but until the data has
actually made it to a platter, a power loss would be bad.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.1°C)