Re: [opensuse] Creating the distro USB stick with a simple 'cp'
On 08/13/2013 06:39 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
On 8/13/2013 6:16 PM, Doug wrote:
On 08/13/2013 04:27 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
On 8/8/2013 5:42 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Thursday, 2013-08-08 at 07:59 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

/snip/

I was recently advised to use rsync to do something like this. I tried
it on a test--a portable drive--and it didn't work. Maybe I did it
wrong, I don't know.

Nothing copied. This was my first (and only) experience trying to
use rsync.

What I want to do is to copy partitions (one at a time) to another
drive with a different set of partitions, just a bit bigger. (And
numbered differently, leaving out some that will not be used in the
future. One reason is that the present drive partitioning scheme has
unusable spaces where I cannot expand into them. I want to make a clean
partitioning setup on another drive--actually an SSD, in the final cut.

Will DD do that, or will it choke on having partitions of a different
size, and different number? (IE., what is now sda8 may become sdb5,
and so on, and then when that drive is mounted as the only drive, it
will, I hope, be sda5.)

--doug

You can proceed a few different ways.

The best way is probably create new empty filesystems manually on the
new partitions, then use rsync to copy all your files over to them. The
advantage here is that rsync is resumable (if you abort in the middle,
it doesn't have to start over from the beginning), and it works for any
kind of fs as long as you can mount that fs in linux.

Another way is dd the old fs to the new partition, then use whichever
utilities are appropriate for the fs type to grow the fs to fill the new
space. Not all fs's are growable but the common current linux ones are.
At least ext3, ext4, reiser. They don't all use the same command, ie
there isn't a growfs command. ext3/4 has resize2fs, reiser has
resize_reiserfs, xfs probably has something, btrfs probably has
something, etc. This all also assumes you aren't using lvm.
This way might work if you had a non-linux fs from some other OS where
you can't mount or resize the fs from linux, but you can dd any block of
disk bytes, and then maybe the other OS can resize it's own fs itself later.

Generally, copying a fs to a larger partition or whole device (no
partition table) does not affect the fs at all, it still works fine
exactly as before. But it also does not use the extra space. You have to
resize the fs to use the extra space. Not all fs types can be resized.
Some can be resized but maybe there is no linux utility to do it, or not
a safe one anyways. Some can only be grown and never shrunk, some can be
grown or shrunk.

I was intending to format the partitions on the new drive with ext4 (for
Linux) and NTFS (for Windows 8) so that the DDd files would arrive on
formatted space, and the rest of the partition would be usable, being
formatted and empty. I get the impression that I'm missing something
here--please explain. Is there a difference between what you call a
file system, and what I call a formatted partition? If so, what?

Thanx--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley