Re: [opensuse] Creating the distro USB stick with a simple 'cp'
On 08/13/2013 04:27 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
On 8/8/2013 5:42 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Thursday, 2013-08-08 at 07:59 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

/snip/

But writing raw images to device nodes in an
exact, reproducible, predictable manner is not an advertised function of
cp. So if it worked, it was by happenstance. Even if it worked 500 times
on every version of linux available right now, that is still
happenstance. All those versions of linux still probably derive their
version of cp from the same gnu base, with the only differences being age.

While dd is specifically made to do exactly that. It doesn't just happen
to work for that also.

Probably the main difference behind the scenes is the assurance that dd
will write one byte after another contiguously, no skipping around to
use free blocks wherever they may be.

/snip/

I was recently advised to use rsync to do something like this. I tried
it on a test--a portable drive--and it didn't work. Maybe I did it
wrong, I don't know.
What I want to do is to copy partitions (one at a time) to another
drive with a different set of partitions, just a bit bigger. (And
numbered differently, leaving out some that will not be used in the
future. One reason is that the present drive partitioning scheme has
unusable spaces where I cannot expand into them. I want to make a clean
partitioning setup on another drive--actually an SSD, in the final cut.

Will DD do that, or will it choke on having partitions of a different
size, and different number? (IE., what is now sda8 may become sdb5,
and so on, and then when that drive is mounted as the only drive, it
will, I hope, be sda5.)

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley