Re: [opensuse] video problem with an ancient laptop
On 2013-08-11 22:19 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

I tested Puppy Wary 5.2 - it works fine. It detects the video card but not
the monitor, so I select from a list: 1024x768x16 h31.5-49,5v56-72. This
works, fills the entire screen. I don't know if it is the maximum
resolution, the documentation does not say (only that is TFT 14"� (N618)
or 15" (N619-N620) XGA.

IIRC, 5.2's 2.6.33 was the last kernel version without having KMS built in by default. Given why that distro exists, it's pretty safe to assume it had no KMS. Therefore, comparing its video behavior to anything newer is little more than a does it work or doesn't it exercise, with nothing to be learned regarding getting anything newer working properly. Without KMS (e.g. in conjuction with nomodeset, or using pre-2.6.34 kernels), vga= works as it always had. With KMS, for what vga= did for framebuffer ttys previously, one needs video= instead. Compare the two's descriptions in kernel-parameters.txt.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/